Sunday, April 29, 2012

Speaking of Roommates....

It's still mindblowing to me that come this August, I'll be living with at least one other girl that I've never met before. Obviously, this is a given in college life. A plus is that it won't actually be too shocking to me, because I was lucky enough to be a youth correspondent this past summer at the WJMC Conference at George Mason. While I did have my own room for the week, I did share a suite and a bathroom with three other girls, who I unfortunately didn't get to bond with until the night before we were to depart for home.

This time, I get a chance to make a totally new set of memories. I'm not going to school with the naive idea that my new roommate and I will be best friends. For one, I've had a bestfriend since the 7th grade, and I don't see her going anywhere. Even if me and my new roomie are tight, we'd have a totally different bond than the one Taylor and I have.

Second, if in the possible case that I end up in a situation like my friend Tori, where my roommate and I are less than savvy, I'm prepared to deal. Not everyone in the world will love or even like you. It's alright.


What I am hoping for is someone I can live with. This is the girl I'll probably be up late at night with, cramming for finals or lazing away with when neither of us can be bothered to leave the dorm. I've poked around on the 2016 Facebook page for AU, and I've checked out the exclusive website for our class as well, but I don't exactly want to go the whole "HEY, YOU SEEM COOL, LET'S ROOM TOGETHER, K???" route.


I don't have a particular laundry list of the perfect roommate, but I guess I need to have something in mind when I'm making my profile next week. I'll attempt to make some kind of list, which if at all purposeful, will make it a little easier for me to finalize the whole Freshman process.


A good roommate for me:


  • wouldn't smoke (cigarettes, pot, hookah, anything smokable...)
  • wouldn't party extensively
  • knows the balance between living with someone else and asking for privacy once in awhile
  • picks up after herself (I'm no one's mother, and I'm not interested in acting like it)
  • sleeps on a somewhat regular basis
  • asks for something when she knows it isn't hers
  • shares some common interests, but has her own quirks and talents
So far that's all I can really come up with. I guess when it comes down to it, it's more matching yourself up with someone else based on your own habits. I'm hoping that I don't end up in a situation where someone lies in order to get a neat-freak that'll keep the room tidy or a nerd to pass homework off on, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm actually in the process of seeing if I can request to be in a triple instead of randomly ending up in one. Am I a little wacko for that? It's the price difference in room & board that's motivating me.

No comments:

Post a Comment