Saturday, October 27, 2012

UsBundles College Scholarship

I can't learn online. 12 years in public school and the first two months of life on AU's campus has solidified that in my mind. If it's not reflective Facebook posts for a grade, or reading a terrible copy of a future textbook, it is some unnecessary addition to the challenge of how I learn in school.

In my opinion, traditional schooling is better than online schooling.

It's all too easy to ignore your laptop for a day, or to go the extra mile to "forget" to check up on your assignments and classwork. Seeing a teacher's face changes things. Being able to ask questions, interact with other students, and jot things down not only connects the student to the material, but invites him or her to get everything they can out of their education.

Computers put you right in touch with your search engine of choice. Databases allow you to scurry through centuries and decades alike, all at the push of a button or a couple of dashes across the keyboard. But online schooling has its limits. I can't actually ask a computer a question. I have no body language or sense of emotion to help me understand my progress, the same way a gentle smile or a head shake would instruct me in a classroom.

More importantly, I find it impossible to develop the proper relationship between a teacher and his/her student over an Internet connection.  In order for me to learn from someone on a day to day basis, I need to be able to see them, hear their voice, discover their quirks and their habits. I need to be able to trust them. To me personally, that can never come from online schooling, no matter how in-depth the material or experience is.

No comments:

Post a Comment